Tuesday, December 6, 2011

An Encouraging Dream

"For God may speak in one way or in another, yet man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, while slumbering on their beds, then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction."
                                                                Job 33:14-16


Do you need encouraging? Would you like God, Himself, to give you an encouraging word? He would love to do that - in your dreams! If you haven't read the previous posts, please do so. It explains how to get started and put yourself in a position to hear from God.

In the last post, I shared a spiritually significant dream in which the Lord showed Himself to me with a very comforting word. This occurred in the early morning of 9/11/2001. The dream I share with you today is one of my favorites where He gave me a very encouraging word. I surely needed it at the time, and it continues to encourage me every time I think of it. I am so glad someone shared with me the importance of paying attention to dreams and looking for the Holy Spirit to speak through them.  Here is what I dreamed....

I found myself in a large meeting - like at a convention. It was a "meet and greet" situation. Everyone was standing around talking and wearing name tags. They introduced themselves to the ones they didn't know. I realized I didn't have a name tag on. Then, a very short, little lady came up to me and shook my hand. She said, "Hello, my name is Barbara and I am a giant". I was thinking how odd that was. She was the third person, who was actually very small, that introduced themselves to me as a giant. I was much bigger than they were.

I turned and walked away from her, pondering this situation. I walked down a long hall and saw a large man walk up to me. He said, "You don't have a name tag. This one is yours." I took the name tag without looking at it, peeled off the back part, and slapped it up on my shoulder. It was then, that I looked down and saw what the name tag said - HELLO. My name is BLESSED.

Wow! I woke up so excited. I couldn't wait to tell my husband, Daron, my dream. I quickly recorded it in my journal. I didn't want to forget one word of it. Obviously, this one is simple to interpret. My first rule of Christian dream interpretation is to consider how you felt emotionally when you woke up from the dream. Were you happy, scared or confused? This  makes a difference in the meaning. I will go into more detail about that in a later post. I woke up from this dream very happy and encouraged.

The first significant symbol in the dream was the little lady who introduced herself to me as a giant. Giants in a dream, symbolize circumstances that seem big and insurmountable to us - something difficult to deal with. Remember, also, that I had three "giants" that I met in the dream - meaning, at that time, there were three big problems in my life. Or at least, that is the way I was looking at them. It would seem God wanted me to change my perspective and realize that because His Spirit is in me - together we are bigger than ANY problem that will occur in my life. Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.     1 John 4:4

The other significant symbol in this dream was the name tag. It symbolizes our identity, what we call ourselves and what other people call us. God wanted to make sure I KNEW my name, my real identity in Christ - and it is BLESSED!  When we are dealing with problems, especially big ones (my giants), it is easy to fall into a victim mentality. The longer we stay there, the bigger the problems seem and the more discouraged we get.

That's when I learned how important it is to magnify the Lord. This simply means to take a good look at Him up close. He is far bigger and greater than any problem we have. As my perspective changes, my mood improves, and peace and joy return.

I absolutely love this dream. I'm so glad I recorded it before the cares of this world and daily problems caused me to forget it. If you've never had any dreams like that, then tell the Lord you are ready to hear from Him, and ask Him to speak to you in the night. He will. It may not be every night. It's not for me. Sometimes, I seem to go a long time without a spiritual dream, but when they do come, I am so glad. It is always to help me in some way. God is so good!

Start paying attention to your dreams and recording them, even if you don't have a clue what they mean. More symbolism and help interpreting will follow in up-coming posts. Until then,

Sweet dreams,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment