Sunday, December 4, 2011

Does God Speak to us in our dreams?

"For God may speak in one way or in another, yet man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, while slumbering on their beds, then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction."                        
                                                                         Job 33:14-16

One reason for writing this blog is to help Christians consider that God can and still does speak to us in our dreams. For many, this is a new thought. But, I challenge you in this coming year of 2012, to pay attention to your dreams and record them. I believe that you, like me, will be amazed at what happens.

In this blog, I will give examples from my own life of spiritual dreams and what they meant to me. I have been recording my dreams for several years and have several journals full of them. If my house/motorhome caught fire, they would be one the first things I would grab to save. The dream I want to share first is one I consider to be my most significant spiritual dream. It occurred about 5:00 am 9/11/2001.

I dreamed that I was standing in my bedroom when my then teenage daughter Brittany came running into the room very excited. "HE'S IN THERE! HE'S IN THERE! HE'S REALLY IN THERE! Come see!"

I said, "Who? What? What are you talking about"

She said, "IT'S JESUS! HE'S IN MY ROOM. HE'S IN THERE. HE'S REALLY IN THERE. COME SEE".

Amazed at her words, I ran down the hall and opened her bedroom door. Much to my shock and surprise, there He stood. There was no question in my mind it was Him. The rest of the room looked like it was in black and white - and there He was in beautiful, bright, living color - shining! I was so excited I couldn't say anything, and much to my chagrin - I woke up.

My heart was racing and I could not believe what I saw in this dream. Never before had I experienced a dream like this one. I wondered what it could possibly mean. But all I could  think about was a Hebrew phrase that kept running through my mind - Jehovah Shammah - translated the Lord is There or the Lord Himself is There.

I tried to go back to sleep, hoping to continue that dream. Yet, all I could think was "Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Shammah" over and over again. I knew what this phrase meant from teaching a Bible study class at our church on the names of God. But, what was this vivid dream about and why was this phrase/name of God (found in Ezekiel 48:35) continually running through my head?

I tossed and turned, trying to return to sleep - to no avail. I knew the dream and this phrase had to be something very significant, but had no clue to its meaning at that moment. I finally  got out of bed and prepared for my day with that phrase, Jehovah Shammah, continuing in my brain as if a little person was sitting on my shoulder whispering into my ear.

It was almost time to go to my Precept Bible Study class on Tuesday morning. I turned on the TV for a few minutes to look at the news before I left. As I turned it on NBC, the Today show was telling about a plane that had just crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. As they were standing there, the second jet crashed into the other tower. The same tower that my family and I had been in on our last vacation. It was at that moment that everyone realized this was not an accident, but a terrorist attack.

I left to go to the Bible Study, but no one could keep their minds on the study because of what was happening. We dismissed early and went back home to see the lastest news. I got there in time to watch in horror as the towers began to fall. I was weeping thinking about all the lives that were being lost at that time and thinking about their families and knowing that all our lives were never going to be the same. My human mind could only think of the despair, devastation and loss of life. But my spirit kept saying, "Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Shammah".  And I knew God was there, in the midst of all of it, He was there.

Like many Americans, I remained glued to the TV for days to come and couldn't stop crying.  I watched people coming up to the TV reporters with pictures of their lost ones, hoping to find them. It was so sad. But, Jehovah Shammah continued to comfort me and remind me that this tragedy did not catch God by surprise. He would bring good out of it and He is our Comfort in all things big and small. And, as His name says, He is with us at all times, regardless of what we are going through. Jehovah Shammah.

If you want to hear from God in your dreams, you need to tell Him. Turn your thoughts to Him and/or learn to "fix your eyes on Jesus" as you fall asleep. If you are not sure what I am talking about, stay tuned. I will go into more detail in following posts. I would also like to to hear from you about your dreams. I do not have a significant spiritual dream every night. They often come in spurts - 2 or 3 at a time and then I may go for a while without anything that mattered. But, oh the ones that do matter - I wouldn't trade them for anything.

If you don't have any spiritual dreams and you are a Christian, I believe that you can and will have them. Keep reading and follow the suggestions that will be given in this blog. Our God is a good God who loves to communicate with us - so much that His Son Jesus is called the Word - the Living Word - the Logos. That has not changed. Give it a try and give it time. You will hear from God and I would love to hear your experiences. I hope this encourages you. Until next time....

Sweet dreams,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment